12/12/2018HKT 20:1015°C

Heritage

THE PEAK TOWER HISTORY

 

THREE REINCARNATIONS OF THE PEAK TOWER

With the growing numbers of recreational visitors to the Peak during the 1960s it was clear that improved amenities were required at Victoria Gap.

 

1972

 

1972

The construction of the original Peak Tower began in 1971. Housing the upper terminus of the Peak Tram, the tower does not sit atop Victoria Peak but is situated in Victoria Gap, a dip along the line of the hills at an elevation of 396 metres. The tower's height, at 428 metres above sea level, allows it to blend smoothly with the natural landscape.

 

When it was first unveiled to the public on August 29, 1972, the Peak Tower featured the Tower Restaurant on the top deck while the Peak Coffee Shop was located on the floor below. Mr. Tsui Tim rented the lower level to operate a Chinese restaurant, Lo Fung. However, the restaurant closed in 1981.

 

 

 

1997

In 1993, the Peak Tower underwent a HK$500-million redevelopment into a new retail and entertainment complex, designed by renowned British architect Sir Terry Farrell. It was officially opened to the public in May 1997 with a number of top attractions, including Ripley's Odditorium and Mini Motion Theatre.

 

1997

 

 

2006

Work on the revitalisation of the Peak Tower began in March 2005. This extensive programme has transformed the Peak Tower as an essential leisure destination offering great variety of dining, specialty shopping and interactive entertainment for Hong Kong residents and tourists alike.

 

3rd TPT