1888 - 1926
In May 1888, the Tramway was officially opened by the Governor,
Sir William Des Voeux. The wooden tram's haulage system was
powered by coal fired steam boilers.
1926 - 1948
An electrically-powered haulage gear system replaced steam power and the tramcar
could now carry 52 passengers.
1948 - 1959
After the war, a 62 seat, all-metal tramcar was introduced to meet
the increasing demand of the local population.
1959 - 1989
To protect passengers from the weather, a fully enclosed, lightweight,
all-aluminum tramcar with 72 seats was put in service.
1989 - present
A significant modernization of the system was undertaken, introducing
microprocessor-control technology and brand new tramcars carrying